Friday, September 3, 2010

Fiction or non-fiction? What do you think!

Ok so as I’m sitting here thinking about class today. Basically we write a journal everyday whom I of course have to thank the professor of assigning our homework! So anyway yesterday’s journal was to be about Death! I thought it would be a hard subject but it came out smoothly poured into my journal. By the way in the end you tell me if this story is fiction or non-fiction.....being able to jot down writing in paper it comes easy for me…I am to portray a situation of being in the career I am graduating soon to be medical assistant. How I can separate my feelings with a patient dying. It is not necessarily possible because we are humans who in nature have the tendency to feel anything. Knowing I wrote a good paper I decided to add my own experience or is it? You tell me! Remember I worked at a nursing home caring for the elderly.....

Being a medical assistant I’ve had the opportunity to care for different people. I can recall a moment of an elderly I was to help care for. She was very nice, fragile, and a troubled woman. The reason she was troubled was because she was put in the hospital for the condition she had. I was scheduled to help her with whatever she needed to make her feel comfortable.

In times I would stare at her because she seemed so lost. Her eyes were pacing around like a child unfamiliar with curtain moments. I would speak to her and ask her questions. I would admire the life she lived. The stories she would tell me were like drawings, paintings, and Art you see in a museum. Beautiful antique moments captured in her thoughts. I had gotten her comfortable enough, to her requesting me that I take care of her more often. As time passed by I made sure not to get attached, same times you still grow fond of your patients.

The day came she was very ill and I would see her more weak. Eventually the doctor said she wouldn’t get any better. As a person helping I had to be professional and separate my feelings to both sides. Hold in what I saw, her being deteriorating basically right before my eyes. Last moment of her existence was getting her family together. I allowed them to take their one on one time visit with her to say their goodbyes. I would see her family in a group talking about all the fond memories they had of her when she was young and vibrant. They would laugh and cry all these mixed emotions.

Checking on her last hours was a close up of death before my eyes. In some sense I could feel the sadness in her family having to miss her already. I could feel my patient weaker and more fragile than before. I felt achiness beneath my stomach knowing I was not only losing a patient but a woman who had become a friend of mine.

Her last breath was listening to the machine flatling and the pouring tears coming down like rain. It was a sad yet not so quiet moment because all you hear is the family start to grieve and sounds of broken hearts. As she is laying there her body cold turning blue, I had seen her cross over to the unknown world. I was just grateful to have had the pleasure of being a part of such a wonderful woman to care for.

All of these stages of seeing first hand all mixed different emotions was not something I ever wanted to endure, but it’s a way of life we all have to get through in any type of situation. I am just blessed my time with her was special that I carry her in a place within my heart.

Time as it goes by I pass by her old room and I have pausing moments of remembering her. A new tenant takes up the room......Another employee relives my days....


Mexiqueen~

No comments: